- Changes to the Basic Resident Registration Law
- Personal Information Requirements for Foreign Nationals Entering Japan
- Operation of the Automated Gates for Immigration at Narita International Airport
- Notes on the Issue of Child Custody
- Application of Japanese passport for minors
Our Visa section can advise you of the documents you will need to enter Japan.
Visiting Japan Links (MOFA) and has everything you need to start planning your trip to Japan including The Japan National Tourist Organization (JNTO) site with maps, weather, sights and things to do. Canadian residents can try JNTO's Toronto office.
Japan Customs will help you understand customs regulations and procedures.
Especially helpful are:
- Guide to Living in Japan
- Minimum Information Required for Living in Japan
- Essential Travel Info
- Budget travel tips at Affordable Japan
- Detailed local travel guides
- Animal Quarantine Service
- Bringing Medication into Japan for Personal Use
- Immigration Bureau of Japan
- Assistance to Canadians in Japan (Embassy of Canada in Tokyo)
*Dear travelers to Japan:
It is recommended that you purchase overseas travel insurance
- Overseas travel insurance can give you a feeling of security, even in emergencies, so you can better enjoy your trip.
- Medical expenses can be very high in Japan. If you have purchashed travel insurance which offers sufficient coverage of the costs, you can receive treatments without concern.
- It is recommended that you purchase overseas travel insurance with travel support for hospital referrals, medical interpretation, and cashless medical service. (We recommend that you check your insurance details before travelling. For example, perinatal medical care is not covered by travel insurance and can be expensive.)