To promote greater mutual understanding between Japan and Canada, the governments of these countries introduced a Working-Holiday scheme to encourage youth exchange. It allows citizens of one country to enter the other country for a holiday over an extended time period, and work, as an incidental aspect of their holiday, to supplement travel funds. (Note: Persons who intend to primarily work or study in Japan should apply for a Working or General Visa.)
With this visa, Canadian citizens need no further permission to work while in Japan, provided their work activities do not contravene Japanese laws regulating businesses offering food and entertainment, or any other regulations which affect public order and good morals.
The Working-Holiday Visa is issued only ONCE to each individual. The Government of Japan will issue, free of charge, a single entry visa for a Working-Holiday to persons who satisfy all qualifications as outlined below.(Effective January 1, 1997)
Applicants for the Working Holiday visa must
- Be a Canadian citizen who is resident in Canada
- Intend primarily to holiday in Japan for a specific period
- Be between 18 and 30 years of age at the time of application
- Possess reasonable funds to support themself, including medical expenses, during the initial period of stay in Japan
- Possess a valid Canadian Passport
- Be in good health
- Have no criminal record
Download the Application Package.
Submit ALL of the following:
- Valid Canadian passport
- Completed visa application form
- One passport-style photo (Approx. 45mm x 45mm, taken within the last 6 months)
- Personal Resume (Typed on letter sized paper)
- Detailed itinerary of your stay in Japan
- Letter explaining your motive for a Working-Holiday Visa (Typed on letter sized paper)
- Note from a physician stating that you are in good health (Original note)
- Minimum $2,500 CDN ($3,500 for married couple) in TRAVELLERS CHEQUES (or equivalent amount of other foreign currency travellers cheques) or a BANK ACCOUNT STATEMENT.
- Personal identification
- An ACTUAL return or through airline ticket.
Working-Holiday Visas are processed in a minimum of one week.
- We cannot guarantee that your visa will be processed before your intended departure date.
- Applicants are advised to purchase medical insurance before departure.
- The above information may be changed without notice.