Working-Holiday Visa for Canadian Citizens


To promote greater mutual understanding between Japan and Canada, the governments of these countries introduced a Working-Holiday scheme to encourage youth exchange. It allows citizens of one country to enter the other country for a holiday over an extended time period, and work, as an incidental aspect of their holiday, to supplement travel funds. (Note: Persons who intend to primarily work or study in Japan should apply for a Working / Study / General Visa.)

With this visa, Canadian citizens need no further permission to work while in Japan, provided their work activities do not contravene Japanese laws regulating businesses offering food and entertainment, or any other regulations which affect public order and good morals.

The Working-Holiday Visa is issued only ONCE to each individual. The Government of Japan will issue, free of charge, a single entry visa for a Working-Holiday to persons who satisfy all qualifications as outlined below.(Effective January 1, 1997)


Applicants for the Working Holiday visa must

  1. Be a Canadian citizen who is resident in Canada
  2. Intend primarily to holiday in Japan for a specific period
  3. Be between 18 and 30 years of age at the time of application
  4. Possess reasonable funds to support themself, including medical expenses, during the initial period of stay in Japan
  5. Possess a valid Canadian Passport
  6. Be in good health
  7. Have no criminal record

Submit ALL of the following:

  1. Valid Canadian passport
  2. Completed Visa Application Form (You will be exempt from filling in the “Guarantor or Reference in Japan”, as well as “Inviter in Japan” information, unless you have a plan to stay in a specific place in Japan.)
  3. One photo (Approx. 45mm x 35mm, taken within the last 6 months)
  4. Personal resume/curriculum vitae
  5. Detailed itinerary of your stay in Japan (Outline of Intended Activities Form)
  6. Letter explaining your reason for applying for a Working Holiday Visa
  7. Note from a physician stating that you are in good health (Original note)
  8. Canadian dollar minimum amount $3,500 ($4,500 for a married couple) in a bank statement providing proof of that amount.
  9. Airline ticket or flight itinerary to Japan. Add an additional $1000 to the above amount if you are unable to provide your itinerary or ticket.
To pick up your visa and passport bring:
  1. Personal identification
  2. An ACTUAL return or through airline ticket

Processing Time

Working-Holiday Visas are processed in a minimum of one week.


  1. We cannot guarantee that your visa will be processed before your intended departure date.
  2. Applicants are advised to purchase medical insurance before departure.
  3. The above information may be changed without notice.