Visiting Japan

bullet General Information
bullet Airports and Rail Passes
bullet Accommodation
Location, Hours and Inquiries
Short-Term Stays

Work and Long-Term Stays

Processing Time and Fees

Types and Application
Visa Application Form
(common for each type, PDF)
Temporary Visitor's Visa
Transit Visa
Working Visa
General (Student) Visa
Specified Visa
Working-Holiday Visa
bullet Visa for Medical Stay
Japanese Passport Application/Renewal
Police Certificate
Visiting Japan FAQ

Transit Visa


For travelers who are stopping over in Japan en route to another country due to flight schedules. If you are visiting someone in Japan, or if your main purpose is for sightseeing or business, you need a Temporary Visitor’s Visa. 


* No visa required if you are staying at the airport and are not going through the immigration.

* Canadian citizens and nationals of countries with Reciprocal Visa Exemption Agreements with Japan do not require a Transit Visa.



  • Valid passport
  • Proof of legal residency in Canada such as a Permanent Resident Card or student/employment authorization.
  • Visa application form (PDF)
  • One passport-style photo
  • Airline ticket(s) or flight itinerary issued by airline company or travel agency.
  • Valid entry visa to the country of destination after leaving Japan.
  • If the stay in Japan exceeds one night: Proof of finances (e.g. bank statement)


(C) Consulate General of Japan in Vancouver, 900-1177 West Hastings, Vancouver, BC V6E 2K9 Tel: (604) 684-5868. This page updated May 22, 2015 .