Visiting Japan

bullet General Information
bullet Airports and Rail Passes
bullet Accommodation
Location, Hours and Inquiries
Short-Term Stays

Work and Long-Term Stays

Processing Time and Fees

Types and Application
Visa Application Form
(common for each type, PDF)
Temporary Visitor's Visa
Transit Visa
Working Visa
General (Student) Visa
Specified Visa
Working-Holiday Visa
bullet Visa for Medical Stay
Japanese Passport Application/Renewal
Police Certificate
Visiting Japan FAQ

General (Student) Visa


In order to study in Japan, You must obtain a STUDENT VISA prior to entering Japan.


Application for student visa is considered only on a PRE-ARRANGED BASIS. Your school or sponsor in Japan must obtain on your behalf a CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY, which is issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan, and should contact the nearest Japanese immigration office for details.


Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility, you must apply for your visa in person at the Japanese Consulate with following documents;


(1) Valid passport

(2) One photo (45㎜ × 45㎜ , taken within 6months )

(3) CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY and its photocopy

(4) Completed visa application form (PDF) (available at our office)

(5) Parent's permission letter if the applicant is under 18 years old.


Visa processing time is normally within a week, averaging two or three business days. It may take more time for those whom hold the passport/travel document of some specified countries due to consultations with our home government.


Application is accepted at the consulate between 09:30 - 11:30 and 13:00 - 15:30, Monday to Friday except national holidays.


(C) Consulate General of Japan in Vancouver, 900-1177 West Hastings, Vancouver, BC V6E 2K9 Tel: (604) 684-5868. This page updated May 22, 2015 .