Visiting Japan

bullet General Information
bullet Airports and Rail Passes
bullet Accommodation
Location, Hours and Inquiries
Short-Term Stays

Work and Long-Term Stays

Processing Time and Fees

Types and Application
Visa Application Form
(common for each type, PDF)
Temporary Visitor's Visa
Transit Visa
Working Visa
General (Student) Visa
Specified Visa
Working-Holiday Visa
bullet Visa for Medical Stay
Japanese Passport Application/Renewal
Police Certificate
Visiting Japan FAQ

Japanese Passport Application/Renewal


If you are applying for a Japanese passport for your child, please read this page prior to applying.


Required Documents:


(1) One Application Form (please use BLACK ink)
-Applicants under the age of 20 years may apply only for a 5 year passport.
-Even applicants age 0 must apply for their own passport.

(2) Current Passport (even if expired)


(3) One photo, taken within six months

The Photo must measure 35mm x 45mm in size
-Size of face, from head to chin should be between 3.2cm - 3.6 cm (1 1/4 - 1 3/8 inches)
-Should be facing forward with plain background and no shadows -No hats, masks or sunglasses
-School picture may not be accepted -Best if taken at a photo studio as grainy digital camera photos or blurred photos may not be accepted.


(4) One Family Registry (Koseki Tohon or Koseki Shohon), issued within six months
- However, if the current passport is NOT expired and there are NO changes to the name or domicile, the family registry will NOT be necessary.


(5) PR Card (for Permanent Residents) / Valid Foreign Passport or Birth Certificate (for Dual Citizens)

Processing time is 5 working days. Pick-up must be done by the applicant within six months of the application date.


Please note:
*You may designate someone to apply on your behalf. On the front side of the application, please be sure to sign on the dotted line and inside the box (this is the signature that will appear on the passport). Also, on the back side, please write your name in Japanese and fill out the bottom section. The designated person will be asked to show a form of identification.

*For those who are married to a non-Japanese and wish to add their spouse's name, another form must be submitted. If this is the first time to add the name, a Koseki Tohon or Shohon (showing the marriage has been reported), issued within 6 months, will be required. Also, you must bring an official document (PR card, marriage certificate) to verify the spelling of the name.

*For applicants who reside a long-distance from the greater Vancouver area, and within our jurisdiction, (such as Vancouver Island, Okanagan area, Yukon territory, etc), you may submit your application by mail. If you wish to request this service, please send us a self-addressed letter-sized return envelope with the applicable postage and your letter of request.

*If you wish to request a passport application by mail, please send a 9" x 12" self-addressed stamped envelope. Please enclose a memo with your request for the number of copies and specify either a 5 or 10 year passport application.

If you need any further information on any of the above, please contact the passport section at (604) 684-5868 ext. 378


(C) Consulate General of Japan in Vancouver, 900-1177 West Hastings, Vancouver, BC V6E 2K9 Tel: (604) 684-5868. This page updated May 22, 2015 .