- Japan and Canada: A New Era for Cooperation -
2018 will mark the 90th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Japan and Canada. We would like to spotlight “Japan and Canada’s New Era for Cooperation” described by leaders of both countries as a year of cooperation and exchange. For that reason, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan encourages proposals for a wide range of events celebrating the 90th anniversary of Japan-Canada diplomatic relations.
Organizers of events endorsed by the Ministry will be entitled to use both the official name ‘‘the 90th anniversary of Japan-Canada Diplomatic Relations’’ and the official logo in all publicity materials including posters, pamphlets, flyers, websites, signboards, and banners. The event will also be publicized on “the 90th anniversary of Japan-Canada Diplomatic Relationship” event calender of the Embassy or Consulate General in the appropriate jurisdiction.
- Events should take place in Japan or Canada between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018.
- Events can be in various fields: cultural exchange, economy, science and technology, arts, tourism or food.
- Events should aim to promote and strengthen Japan-Canada relations.
- Aims and contents of events should be clear. Events should have high feasibility.
- Events should not advocate any particular principle, ideology, policy, political activity, election campaign or religion.
- They should not violate public order or standards of decency.
- Event’s main purpose should not be profit-oriented.
- Costs must be fully borne by the organizers.
2. How to get an approval
The following documents, as well as any additional necessary documents, should be submitted one month prior to the planned event’s date by email (scanned) or by mail to the Embassy of Japan in Canada or Consulate General of Japan in your jurisdiction. If the event is held in Japan, submissions should be sent to First North America Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.
- Application Form (PDF, Word)
- Details of the event (outline/description of the event)
- Information on the organizer (outline / description and statute of the organization, past activities)
- Associated profit and expenses
- Pledge Form (PDF, Word)
- Pledge Concerning Use of Logo (PDF, Word)
- We are unable to return applications, so we recommend you keep a copy for your reference.
- Any inquiries regarding the screening process will not be responded to.
- In any case should the event be cancelled or a substantive change does not comply with the criteria for endorsement, the endorsement may be cancelled unless any information is reported to the Ministry or the Consulate as soon as possible.
- The Ministy of Foreign Affairs of Japan, the Embassy of Japan and other Consulates General of Japan in Canada, Global Affairs of Canada and the Embassy of Canada to Japan bear no responsibility for recognized events.
4. Application and inquiry
For applicants in Canada
Embassy of Japan in Canada (Ottawa region)
255 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, ON, K1N 9E6
Consulate General of Japan in Vancouver (British Columbia and Yukon)
900-1177 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC, V6E 2K9
Consulate General of Japan in Calgary (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories and Nunavut)
Suite 950, 517-10th Avenue SW Calgary, AB, T2R 0A8
Consulate General of Japan in Toronto (Ontario)
Suite 3300, TD North Tower, 77 King Street West, Toronto, ON, M5K 2A1
Consulate General of Japan in Montreal (Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Labrador & Newfoundland)
1 Place Ville Marie, Suite 3333, Montreal, QC, H3B 3N2
For applicants in Japan
First North America Division, North American Affairs Bureau
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
2-2-1 Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8919
Attention to Abe or Hayashida
TEL: 03-3580-3311 ext: 4149 or 5398