News Archive





Earthquake Relief Donations


Since the earthquake off the Tohoku region of Japan, we have received numerous warm messages of support and concern from many people and we want to express our sincere gratitude for those generous words.


For those people wishing to make a donation please read the following information.


1. Monetary donations made directly to the Consulate General of Japan in Vancouver


We accept to receive donation by check amount in Canadian Dollar. Donations have been held by the Consulate General and then collectively forwarded to the Japanese Government every time a significant amount of the donations have been accumulated.

If you wish to receive a written acknowledgment of your donation, we issue a donation record with the date, the amount of the donation.


Please note that, according to Canada Revenue Agency regulations, your donation cannot be recognized as a tax deductible donation because the Consulate General is not a registered Canadian charity. We hope that you will understand this condition in advance.


Name of the account: Consulate General of Japan EQ
(Note: “EQ” must be included)


(1) If you wish to send your donation cheque by mail, please send it to:

Consulate General of Japan
(ATTN: Earthquake)
900 – 1177 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC, V6E 2K9


(2) If you wish to deliver your donation cheque in person, please bring it to:

Consulate General of Japan
9th Floor Reception
900 – 1177 West Hastings Street Vancouver, BC, V6E 2K9 (Map)
Open from 9:00am to 12:00 noon and 1:00 pm to 5:00pm (weekdays)


2. Direct donations to the Japanese Red Cross Society (JRCS)


 For direct donations to the JRCS, there is a transfer fee that will be applied. According to the Canadian Red Cross, the JRCS is not a Canadian organization so they are not able to give a tax deductible receipt.


Name of Bank:Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Name of Branch: Ginza
Account  No : 8047670 (Ordinary Account)
Payee Name: The Japanese Red Cross Society
Payee Address: 1-1-3 Shiba-Daimon Minato-ku, Tokyo JAPAN

(The money will be forwarded to the Donation Allocation Committees of individual local authorities from the Japanese Red Cross Society and then through the committees, the donations will be delivered to the people who suffered from this earthquake.)

If it is essential that you receive a receipt for your donation, make a note of that on the payment form for the donation.


3.  Donations made through the Canadian Red Cross


For details on how to donate through the Canadian Red Cross, please see the Canadian Red Cross homepage.

When you make a donation please designate that it be used for Japanese earthquake relief.

NOTE:  According to JRCS, these donations will be used to support the“general relief activities”by JRCS or“directly for the people who suffered from earthquake”


(C) Consulate General of Japan in Vancouver, 900-1177 West Hastings, Vancouver, BC V6E 2K9 Tel: (604) 684-5868. This page updated March 31, 2017.